[gingery_machines] Re: Miller Spindle Bearings from gingery_machines_4

| | |

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

 

Check out the homepage of this site and go to the fourth book , - message # 2 where I posted -

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/gmill/gingery-mill.html

scroll down and it shows more ablut this 1.8 size Gingery mill.
I think it may give credit where I got it.
keep smiling
dennis mac

--- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, "Brite" <coldtoo2000@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Norman,
>
> I demand pictures (if you can)! : D >
>
> I'm building a double sized Gingery Mill, and pictures of peoples projects always inspire me to get back to work on it. Besides, you never know what you'll learn.
>
> Glad to hear your bearings are running in.
>
> I'm going to post a bearing poll, maybe see what others have used.
>
> CT2
>
>
>
> --- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, "normanleonard52" <normanleonard52@> wrote:
> >
> > I've went ahead made the face mill and used it last night for the first time. Adjusted the bearing with the shims now it must have been just needing some wearing in while in use.
> > The bearing now seem to be fine but I'll keep a close watch on them.
> > Brad
> > The finish on the shaft is pretty smooth. The bearing are store bought bronze bearing. One thing I did do is pined the bearing same way a vw engine block bearings are pinned.I didn't split the one side of the bearing when I first installed them. I since went back and put the slit in both at the parting line like the plans show.
> > I think I just got a little excited when they wore like they did.
> > I built the shaper earlier this year took about 2 1/2 months as soon as I finished the shaper I started the mill. Its been fun building I like the pattern making and casting real well. All of my foundry stuff is home made. I use a waste oil burner of my own design
> > gravity feed for the oil very simple, for the forced air I have a vacuum cleaner blower off of a hoover up right.
> > --- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, Brad Stogsdill <bstogsdill1@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Norman
> > >  
> > > I'm not sure but a few thoughts-
> > >  
> > > What kind of finish does the shaft have? I think the bearings should  wear to fit the shaft and if  the shaft is nearly perfect round and smooth then the bearings high spots will wear until the whole bearing is supporting the load then stop wearing.   If your shaft is out of round or rough surface or not straight, then I think the wear will keep on.  Did you look at the bearings to see how much of the bearing surface was contacting the shaft ands verify they are both well aligned with the shaft?
> > >  
> > > Maybe you can blacken the bearing surface and then check the fit?  Use plastigage or something to be sure you have enough clearance for oil?   Maybe your clamps are too tight and squeezing out oil?
> > >  
> > > Another question- what is your bearing material?  Are you using a real bearing material and is it large enought suface area?  ifyou like me and try to use sutff on hand, maybe your material is a little too soft? I would expect just about any kind of bronze or brass would maybe work but maybe you need some real bearing material? 
> > >  
> > > Keep us posted.  I need to get back on my shaper project- sidetracked with other things but maybe by Christmas will have a working shaper?..then hope to make a miller!
> > >  
> > > Regards
> > > Bradley
> > >  
> > >  
> > >
> > > --- On Mon, 9/27/10, Norman Leonard <normanleonard52@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > From: Norman Leonard <normanleonard52@>
> > > Subject: Re: [gingery_machines] Miller Spindle Bearings from gingery_machines_4
> > > To: gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Monday, September 27, 2010, 10:39 AM
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I've ran the mill at all speeds breaking the bearing in with lots of oil. The fastest speed makes the motor labor so I don't use it. I wasn't seeing any wear until I tried milling a slot in one of the cast face plates I made for the mill. I made a 1/4" single tooth bit from a broken drill. Looks like a small fly cutter. running the mill at the next to fastest speed I made 2 slots in the plate during the last cut is when I noticed the wear. Until the milling of the slots all I'd done is boring and some face plate machining. I guess the side load on the bearings from milling caused the wear. I've re shimmed the bearing but still have about 0.002 of side to side play if I get it to no side to side play then the bearing are so tight I can't spin the spindle.So I guess I'll keep playing with it and re shimming I hope the bearing will soon seat and the wear will stop. I may even get a new set of bearing just in case these poo the bed.
> > > Norman
> > > --- On Mon, 9/27/10, Brite <coldtoo2000@> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Brite <coldtoo2000@>
> > > Subject: [gingery_machines] Miller Spindle Bearings from gingery_machines_4
> > > To: gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com
> > > Date: Monday, September 27, 2010, 2:01 AM
> > >
> > > --- In gingery_machines_4@yahoogroups.com, "normanleonard52" <normanleonard52@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Any of you guys having trouble with the spindle bearings wearing quickly? Mine are wearing quickly in their first use of about 2hrs
> > > > running time they went from nice and tight with no slop to over 0.012 play. Will they stop wearing  soon or do they keep needing adjusting?
> > > > I keep them well oiled, all of the other bearings are still good and tight.
> > > >  I'm thinking about trying timken bearing for the spindle head
> > > > or if any of you guys have an answer to a better bearing let me know.
> > > >  The problem with going to a roller type bearing is there isn't a lot of room to fit unless you make the spindle head size larger for such a change which I didn't do. I've also built the metal shaper before I started the mill project.
> > > >
> > >
> > > And my reply:
> > >
> > > Hi Norman,
> > >
> > > I don't have a good answer for you, but I do know bronze bearings wear quickly at first.  How fast are you running the spindle?
> > >
> > > I"ll repost your message at the main group here:
> > >
> > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/
> > >
> > > as it is where all the members go.
> > >
> > > CT2
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
<*> Member map - Who and where we are.  Please add yourself so members can find each other.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/app/peoplemap/view/map
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario