[gingery_machines] Re: I'm off to a good start, but I'd prefer to be off to a better one

| | |

Sunday, December 5, 2010

 

My advice for what it is! If you start modifying the Gingery design then you need to do so one piece at a time and take into account for all the changes, always thinking what will be the effect on the next part or parts. I have seen all too many guys wanting to add their thoughts into making these machines only to get very discouraged when things go wrong! The patterns and castings are easy to make and in my opinion I would start out with a mostly stock design then once you get familiar with how things are, go for the mod's. I think you will find having a lathe to help build a better one very rewarding!
Good luck on your build and hopefully you will take photos and post your results!

Cheers Wonk

--- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, "primepowerpro" <randycook@...> wrote:
>
> So far, I've built a charcoal foundry, done my first melt, make some nice Al muffins from old pistons, and built a flask for the lathe bed.
>
> I'm about to start making patterns for the lathe, starting with the bed pattern. What generally agreed upon mods should I make at this point? If there's a FAQ on just this topic, feel free to flame me, as long as you provide a link to it. If not, then should it be longer, wider, heavier, or is it just right as it is?
>
> Pine was recommended, but I have a full wood shop and plenty of other woods, so I was going to use my favorite, quarter sawn white oak, since it generally likes to stay straight and flat. Any hints on anything else?
>

__._,_.___
<*> Member map - Who and where we are.  Please add yourself so members can find each other.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/app/peoplemap/view/map
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario