Re: [gingery_machines] Hello

| | |

Thursday, March 31, 2011

 

Well, so far, I haven't actually *needed* a lathe for clocks, but I
could have used one yesterday to turn a new shaft. I repaired the
existing one with the equivalent of spitwads and bailing wire, but if it
does have problems again, it's getting a new shaft turned. Friend of
mine has the HF 7x10, which I would honestly be happy with, but I think
I can build a decently equipped unit for $100 or so.

I had figured on using some aluminum square tube for the base and stand
of the lathe. While Gingery's cross slide looks nice, I have plans for
another hobby lathe (W.R. Bell's) and I like the fact that it's not a
cast design. I haven't yet (read: don't have the other half talked into)
set up a furnace. I'd like to, but I think she's worried about me
either burning down the house, my self, or the yard...

I work on antique winders, mantle, shelf, grandfathers, nothing really
big. I haven't been doing it for a long time, but I enjoy it. I think
the dividing head would be very useful in clock work, allowing me to
make gears. Granted, given the cost of brass stock, I might be better
off buying them, if I can find them...

On 03/31/2011 03:22 PM, David Frantz wrote:
>
> Nice to hear from you. I just wish all my mail rules worked!!!
>
> As to lathe building it is certainly a noble effort but on the other
> hand clock makers lathes are always showing up at auctions and such.
> Just thought I'd point that out!
>
> In any event if you are like many on this list that won't stop you
> from building something yourself. Besides learning to cast metal can
> be very useful in clock construction especially if you are interested
> in larger units. I do have a question in my mind as to the lathes
> design being suitable for clock making. That you will have to judge
> yourself and frankly it doesn't matter as you can modify the design to
> suit your needs. The thing is antique clocks can cover a very wide
> territory of devices from tiny desktop units to big drives for clock
> towers, so not knowing your interest I can't say if the lathe is right
> for you.
>
> In any event there are a huge number of Web sights with info on
> Gingery lathe builds. Google "Gingery Lathe". Many of these sights go
> about documenting how they deal with the weaker points associated wit
> the Gingery Lathe. In this regards I'd suggest that you want to look
> at a stronger bed design.
>
> Along this line of thinking some people consider the Gingery Mill to
> be an improved lathe. While I can't support that 100% it does have
> some features that make it useful for clock making. Specifically
> turning larger diameter parts.
>
> Dave
>
--
Only a mediocre person is always at his best. -- Laurence Peter

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
<*> Member map - Who and where we are.  Please add yourself so members can find each other.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/app/peoplemap/view/map
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario