Re: [gingery_machines] Re: New Here

| | |

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

 

Wonk:

I built the entire series except the hand brake. The lathe and shaper were finished in 1995, drill press in 1996, mill in 1998 (I went back to college in 1996), and the dividing head and change gears in 2003. The machines are all old enough that they need to be rebuilt.

I bought a 10x22 lathe (Grizzley G0602) in 2008 and a mill-drill (Grizzley G0619) last summer, so rebuilding can wait. I'm planning to rebuild later this year after I finish some other projects. Right now I'm trying to finish a wood lathe.

Since I don't post much I'll add a few opinions:

1. The series is a great way to learn, and you end up with machines that are capable of precise work. But the precision doesn't come fast. If you want fast you'll have to buy machines, so it's more expensive (I built my lathe for ~$250 and scrounging).

2. Use whatever you have on hand to build. Aluminum alloys are not created equal, but all will work. My machines are made of whatever aluminum I had at the time. Just make sure your cutters are sharp.

3. Before building a machine with a bunch of modifications you might want to build as designed first. That way you understand the entire process, and you have equipment to help. It takes longer but, in my opinion, you have a greater chance of success.

4. Don't give up. It takes a lot of work to build these machines. Stick with it and you'll finish eventually.

John Schwytzer
West Milton, Ohio

On 28 Feb 2011 at 17:24, Wonk wrote:

> I would be courious how many Gingery machines are actually made to
> completion, and are being used now?
>
> Wonk
>

__._,_.___
<*> Member map - Who and where we are.  Please add yourself so members can find each other.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/app/peoplemap/view/map
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario