Re: [gingery_machines] How did you get into all this?

| | |

Thursday, March 3, 2011

 

Matthew
Way to go, I like your approach. Home and shop in one building, what a life. In way I'm jealous. May all your plans come true. And many great builds.
Nelson Collar

--- On Thu, 3/3/11, Matthew <mattinker@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Matthew <mattinker@yahoo.com>
Subject: [gingery_machines] How did you get into all this?
To: gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2011, 2:26 AM

 

OK, I changed the title because it's moving away from Wonk's original question. I got into the Gingery books through web searching foundry and machine building. I bought book 4 and 6, with the idea that I was going to make a milling machine based on the ideas, I was also very interested in the dividing head, and finding a complete 100to1 reduction, I built one. I never intended to build the series, not long after building my foundry and casting a lot of different pulleys and parts for incomplete machines, I bought part of an industrial building, 14 metres by 12meters. This construction is a kind of Gingery building. I had been collecting materials over a period of about fifteen years, mostly salvaged stuff. By re-arranging "bits" of the structure, I built a floor into part of the space, to build my living quarters, 6 metres x 12 meters, underfloor heating, complete bathrooms in both bedrooms. I spent a year getting a basic kitchen, shower and WC together
in the workshop, installing mains services, three-phase electricity, gas telephone etc and moved in. It has all taken much longer than I planned, so seven years after buying the place, I still haven't got it completely sealed of from the elements. My shop is insulated with polyurethane fridge truck panels in place of the original corrugated iron I've put in lots of big windows and sky-lights, my dream workshop is coming a long really nicely, the chimney for the forge has nearly reached the roof, three-quarters of the floor has been levelled with concrete slabs etc. I still have to earn my living while doing all this. In seven years, I've been on holiday three times, I should do it more often, I get so much more done when I get home.

My dream shop will be ready for my retirement in about seven years time! Looking forward to making so many things other than building my home and building for a living! A barbecue is a must in the garden, The forge is going to be the indoor winter barbecue!

How many of you had an entirely different approach to the gingery trail? Certainly one of the best ways to learn a lot of metal working skills!

Regards, Matthew
--- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, keith gutshall <drpshops@...> wrote:
>
>  Hi Wonk
>  What I think happen to a would be builder,is he starts a machine and get in
> over his head. At this point he gives up building the machine.
>  It maybe lack of knowledge or skill or just does not understand the language
>  of machineing.
>  
>  Keith
>
> Deep Run Portage
> Back Shop
> " The Lizard Works"
>
> --- On Tue, 3/1/11, Wonk <tiwonk@...> wrote:
>
>
> From: Wonk <tiwonk@...>
> Subject: [gingery_machines] Re: New Here
> To: gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> Ah, as I thought! I hear this same story often that something comes along to stop the build, health, a store bought machine cheap, or many of the other reasons! I built the series back in the late 70's and 80's, and have started on making another set now. I made the first ones to spec from the plans, but might try some mods this time around?
> I hope all that dream of building will make the effort and keep at it until completion.
>
> Cheers Wonk
>
> --- In gingery_machines@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Tinker <mattinker@> wrote:
> >
> > Wonk,
> >
> > I don't have any actual stricktly gingery machines, I have a dividing head that I made using gingery techniques. The books led me into casting I would begin a machine, and then one would turn up so I didn't have to finish ! I have a top-slide with nowhere to go, parts of a full-size power hack saw, ZA castings for the "Tinker" T&G (Norman Tinker, no relation was from the North of England, my family of Tinkers were from the south of England it is my real name!) assorted face plates in Al, machine handles etc. Things get incorporated into other machines, parts of the "Tinker" and a gingery type mill are now used in tool holding on my Clarkson T&G. As I've been on this road for a long time, I had a lot of the basic skills, but I still learnt a lot because of branching out.
> >
> > Regards, Matthew
> >
> >
> > Matthew TINKER
> >
> > CNC conversion 1944 Colchester Lathe build-up log
> >
> > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35519
> >
> > > > I would be courious how many Gingery machines are actually made to
> > > completion, and are being used now?
> > > >
> > > > Wonk
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
<*> Member map - Who and where we are.  Please add yourself so members can find each other.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gingery_machines/app/peoplemap/view/map
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Vida de bombeiro Recipes Informatica Humor Jokes Mensagens Curiosity Saude Video Games Mister Colibri Diario das Mensagens Eletronica Rei Jesus News Noticias da TV Artesanato Esportes Noticias Atuais Games Pets Career Religion Recreation Business Education Academics Style Television Programming Motosport Humor News The Games Home Downs World News Internet Car Design Entertaimment Celebrities 1001 Games Doctor Pets Net Downs World Enter Jesus Variedade Mensagensr Android Rub Letras Dialogue cosmetics Genexus Car net Só Humor Curiosity Gifs Medical Female American Health Madeira Designer PPS Divertidas Estate Travel Estate Writing Computer Matilde Ocultos Matilde futebolcomnoticias girassol lettheworldturn topdigitalnet Bem amado enjohnny produceideas foodasticos cronicasdoimaginario downloadsdegraca compactandoletras newcuriosidades blogdoarmario